New in Klondike 11.3.1 (July 2012)
- Additional improvements in appearance on Retina Display
- Corrected background for windows wider than 2000 units (e.g. 27-inch iMac)
New in Klondike 11.3 (June 2012)
- Graphics updated to improve appearance on Retina Display
- Shareware version signed for compatibility with GateKeeper
- Disallow move to empty Play pile in Golf
- Disable clicking on Deck or Play during turn up
- Corrected problem where shuffle sound would not play and cards would not deal
- Corrected background for windows wider than 2000 units (e.g. 27-inch iMac)
New in Klondike 11.2 (November 2011)
- Uses native full-screen mode in Lion
- Update window title after editing player names
- Disable moves after game has ended
- Correct turn count after undoing Repeat
- Prevent double score recording
- Disable score bonus in Casino Scoring
- iKlondike is now a sandboxed application
New in Klondike 11.1 (August 2011)
- Added animation speed control to Preferences
- Added option to display score history between games to Preferences
- Added Game Over legend to score display
- Added New button to score history to call for new game
- Fixed score import when high scores are too old to have an associated replay deck (pre-10.3)
- Properly update player names from Preferences dialog
- Correct autocomplete logic in FreeCell; no longer freezes game on win
New in Klondike 11.0 (May 2011)
- On launch, game resumes at the point it was left on quit
- Score history includes player statistics
- Score history is now maintained separately for games played with Casino scoring
- Cards may be moved by 'flicking' them with the mouse toward the desired destination
- Full Screen mode covers the entire display screen with the Klondike playing surface
- On winning a game, an alert appears with summary statistics
- Eliminated penalty for moving partial column
- Strict Rules option enforces common casino rules (e.g. no undo after turning up a card)
- New background colors in textured felt appearance
- Klondike is now a Cocoa application
New in Klondike 10.4 (November 2010)
- Center scores window in initial game window
- Correct positioning of maximized game window on startup
- Prepare iKlondike 10.4 for Mac App Store
New in Klondike 10.3.1 (September 2009)
- Correctly detect game won on move by dragging card(s)
- Changed score sheet to dialog for Snow Leopard compatibility
- Cleaned up graphics artifacts from dragging cards in Snow Leopard
- Reduced card corner radius for improved appearance
New in Klondike 10.3 (February 2009)
- Added ability to select and replay games from history
- Added ability to adjust transparency of game window
- From 10 to 250 high scores may now be kept in history, based on preference setting
- Reinstated the ability to hide scores
- Clearly show the score at the end of each game when the scores window opens
- Shuffling has been updated to use the latest random number generator, and the 'best' published algorithm
- Card scaling now fits the layout to the window more closely
- Corrected handling of scores over 32767 (possible in Golf)
- Show multiple legal moves correctly in Golf
- Sped up turning 3 cards with deal animation 'off'
- Enlarged high scores display to show high scores over 10,000 properly
- Prevent display corruption on Undo in Golf when deal animation is disabled
- Fixed Show Moves in Golf to show all legal moves
- Fixed crash in Golf on Show Moves with an empty column
- Now requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later
New in Klondike 10.2.1 (February 2007)
- Corrected compatibility with Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
- Improved tolerance for corrupt Klondike Prefs files
New in Klondike 10.2 (February 2007)
- Allowed short cut move of a legal sequence of cards at once in FreeCell.
- Allowed changing games using the Game menu at any time.
- Added contextual menu to move cards to a specific destination.
- Added contextual menu for quick New Game and Replay.
- Added support for Unicode player names.
- Automatically end game and show scores window when game is won.
- Converted graphics from QuickDraw to Quartz.
- Moved preferences and high scores to XML file (CFPreferences).
- Removed support for external Deck files.
- Removed option to hide scores.
- Restored logic to stop penalty timer while Klondike window is deactivated.
- Score display now updates when penalty timer ticks.
- Corrected sorting by date, score in Scores window on Intel machines.
- Fixed crash when making more than 256 consecutive moves.
New in Klondike 10.1 (August 2006)
- Klondike is now a Universal application.
- Added Game menu to switch games easily.
- Increased default game window size.
- Expanded Date column in high scores to accommodate 4-digit years.
- Corrected crash in Import Scores.
New in Klondike 10.0 (January 2006)
- Klondike is now a bundled Carbon application and uses Apple Help.
- Added command to show available moves.
- Added Scale to Fit option, to keep all cards fully visible as stacks grow.
- Added a fifth solitaire game, FreeCell.
- Enhanced animation when dragging cards in OS X 10.3 and later.
New in Klondike 9.1 (March 2005)
- Remember user's selected font when expanding game window.
- Refined double-click move selection to encourage maximum score.
- When 'Finish Game' Preference is selected, include finishing moves in bonus score.
- Corrected display of high scores over 32,767.
- Obey animation preference when turning up cards.
- Record all high scores, not just winning games.
New in Klondike 9.0 (January 2004)
- Added high resolution face card images for improved look in large windows.
- Fully animated all card moves, from dealing to undo/redo.
- Added option to automatically move all cards to foundations when game won.
- Included new 128x128 icon for OS X (thanks to Mike Lockner).
- Added buttons to go to Klondike home page and Kagi registration page.
- Corrected display of game count when more than 32,767 games have been played.
- Eliminated use of deprecated Carbon APIs.
New in Klondike 8.0.2 (November 2003)
- Corrected upgrade logic to correctly recognize July 1, 2001 registrations.
- Eliminated crash on OS X 10.3 (Panther) when quitting with Scores dialog showing.
New in Klondike 8.0.1 (July 2002)
- Added font menu to Preferences to choose enlarged suit font.
- Eliminated crashes on pre-9.0 systems.
- Eliminated alert when skipping a font ATSUI found to be invalid.
New in Klondike 8.0 (July 2002)
- Cards and layout can be enlarged for easier viewing.
- Incomplete games are not recorded in High Scores; only wins are recorded.
- Klondike 8.0 is a Carbon application, requiring OS X or OS 8.5+ with CarbonLib.
New in Klondike 7.7.1 (September 2001)
- Corrected score accounting when undoing turn up of concealed card.
- Corrected operation of score window and menus on OS 8/9 with CarbonLib 1.3.1 and later.
- Eliminated memory leak when using separate deck files.
New in Klondike 7.7 (March 2001)
- Fixed doubled Apple menu under Carbon 1.2.5 and later.
- Fixed ghost windows on OS X 10.0 after New Deck/Open Deck/Import Scores.
- Optimized for Mac OS X 10.0.
New in Klondike 7.6.2 (December 2000)
- Fixed layout problem when changing games with show score off.
- Fixed bomb when quitting with help window open.
- Fixed window handling to avoid bombs after New Deck/Open Deck/Import Scores.
- Allow importing scores from old application files on 68K machines.
- Tuned dialog layouts for Aqua.
- Avoid hogging CPU when dragging cards on OS X.
- Show only one Help menu in Carbon.
- Show selected game name in window title bar.
- Correctly handle repeat button display when changing games.
New in Klondike 7.6.1 (June 2000)
- Improved Apple Event handling at startup.
- Corrected library linking which caused a problem on pre-8.5 systems.
New in Klondike 7.6 (June 2000)
- Combined Classic and Aqua versions into a single 'FAT Carbon' application.
- Enhanced interface elements for Aqua.
- Scores window now shown and put away as needed.
- All versions now support Appearance Manager.
- Game count now saved even if high score list does not change.
New in Klondike 7.5.1 (Dec 1999)
- Corrected version numbers in Finder Get Info
- Improved operation and fixed crashes in the Carbon environment under MacOS X
- Smoother algorithm for sliding cards back to where dragging started.
New in Klondike 7.5 (Oct 1999)
- Carbon version for Mac OS 9 and later
- Minor bug fixes
New in Klondike 7.1 (Sep 1998)
- Corrected (and tested) for proper operation on a Mac Plus with System 6.x.
- Added support for Navigation Services and readied for MacOS 8.5 as well as MacOS X.
- Corrected Golf scoring to operate as the Help text described.
Klondike 7.0.3 (May 1998)
- Reinstated penalty for violating rule on number of passes through deck in Klondike game.
- Fixed so Color Picker will work reliably for Card Back and Background color preferences.
Klondike 7.0.2 (April 1998)
- Re-linked so Klondike will run without 'Missing AppearanceLib' on pre-8.x PowerMacs.
Klondike 7.0 (April 1998)
- Klondike is now PowerMac Native.
- Klondike now includes four solitaire games: Klondike, Canfield, Golf and Racing Demons (a variant of Canfield).
- The Options menu has been replaced by a Preferences dialog box. Preference settings and high score lists are now kept in a file in the Preferences folder within the System folder (System 7 and later only) instead of in the game itself.
- Undo is available up to 256 levels. Turning up a face-down card can now be undone.
- It is now possible to move part of a face-up stack in Canfield and Klondike by holding down the Option key and dragging the deepest card you wish to move.
- The Show Aces command has been removed from the Klondike game.
- There is no longer a penalty assessed for running through the deck more than a prescribed number of times.
- A Replay menu item (cmd-R) has been added to simplify replaying when not scoring.
- For Klondike and Canfield, double-clicking on the deck will now move cards into play (on the tableau) in preference to moving them to the foundations. This can contribute to higher scores.
- Help items no longer disable when a help window has been displayed. Reselecting a help item will bring that help window to the front
Klondike 6.0 (Dec. 1994)
- A move may be made either by double-clicking or dragging. If there are several legal destinations for the card or pile you double-clicked, Klondike moves to the best one it finds.
- Shuffling has been improved using Apple's recommended technique to apply their pseudo-random number generator.
- The Options menu has been simplified with regard to color and animation choices.
- A new item on the File menu, Import
allows you to import the total game count, high scores and player names from an earlier version of the game, so you can preserve your scoreboard when installing a new version.
Klondike 5.1 (Sept. 1992)
- The ENTER key can be used as a shortcut for UNDO.
- The background color of the game window can now be controlled.
- Animation is provided when a moving card or pile is released but is not on a legal destination.
Klondike 5.0.1 (Feb. 1992)
- High level Apple event handling was improved for greater reliability.
Klondike 5.0 (Jan. 1992)
- A new option, Fast Deal, lets you play games more quickly by dealing the cards as fast as the Macintosh can draw them.
- The game is now System 7.0-friendly.
- Color icons have been added, and under System 7 the Help menu is added to the system Help menu.
- Balloon help has been added for menu items and buttons in the Scores window.
Klondike 4.0 (Sep. 1989)
- Added full animation of cards being dragged, instead of just dragging a gray outline.
- A new selection was added to the color menus on Macintoshes with color capability, to display the Macintosh Color Wheel with the current color selected. You can then pick your own color.
- The Scores window now has a close box so it can be hidden without hiding the current score in the Game window. If the Scores window is closed, choosing New Game ends the current game and starts a new game immediately. To show the Scores window again, choose Show Score on the Options Menu.
- UNDO can now be used to return to the last card in the deck after the deck has been turned over with the Replay button.
Klondike 3.6 (Jan. 1988)
- Added support for color, allowing the hearts and diamonds suit symbols to be displayed in red.
Golf 1.0 (Dec. 1986)
- Original release of Golf solitaire. B/W only.
Klondike 3.0 (Dec. 1986)
- First version converted to Think Pascal on the Macintosh.
Klondike 1.0 (1984)
- Developed on a borrowed Lisa using Lisa Pascal, Klondike was one of the first games available for the original Macintosh.
Back to Klondike home page.